Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A day at chop shop.


Driving a car with lots of dents and scratches is something odd. If you’re a guy who really cares on your ride appearance, I’m sure you really want to fix it as soon as possible. Just imagine yourself driving a car in this condition to your workplace or school, and as soon as you parked your car you noticed that some peoples around you look at the scratch and dents on your ride and some of them came up with an annoying sentence such as “what a nice hood you have (referring to your scratched hood)”, kind of little bit of shame isn’t it? So, this is what happened to me a few months ago. I have 8 years old Perodua Kelisa with a heavily corroded hood. How the corrosion came from? Well it is a long story to tell here and what I can say it is because of poor body maintenance by previous owner (it is second hand car). I drive that car with this condition for about 4 months and I’m very shy to drive it because of its corroded hood. I try to fix it but, I didn’t have enough budget at first but then when I have enough cash to fix it, I didn’t have much time to send it to the workshop. Just after the final exam, I have lot of free time and I take this chance to fix my hood. First, I send it to the workshop at Jalan Reko,Kajang, the mechanics in charge there told me it would cost RM250 to fix the hood by replacing new protective layer and repainting it. For me RM250 is quite lot of money to spend and I tried out another alternative which replacing the whole hood with new one where I can get it from chop shop. I searched for the used hood on internet (mudah.my) for a month but sadly I couldn’t find any of it with same color with my ride. So, my last effort is to get myself to nearby chop shop which is in Kajang. There, I found a shop where it sold plenty of imported half cut as well as local half cut including Kelisa. There, I found 2 complete whole Kelisa body parts where both of them are in similar color with my ride. The owner of the chop shop offers me RM170 for used hood after trade in with my corroded hood. For me RM170 and RM250 are quite big difference, so I accept the offer from the parts dealer. However the used hood I got not as good as new painted hood but it is much better than the corroded hood.

Corroded Hood

What I want to share here is, if you want to fix your car due to minor damages, don’t straight away send it to the workshop. Try to consider replacing the whole damaged parts with used parts sold at chop shop. This alternative might safe your money.



Take a look at this 3 years old Singaporean Proton Savvy I found at that chop shop , very good condition, not even a scratch can be found on this car. If your car is similar with this car, you just straight away can equip its part without painting it. This will save you from painting cost.

That’s all from me for this time post….drive safely,don't play-play on the road and…..oh yeah, before I forgot….


:P




No comments:

Post a Comment